Monday, July 11, 2011

What They're Saying 07.11.11

BJ Stockman Interviews Dane Ortlund in Let's Talk About the Gospel

'QUESTION: "What are some tools/practical tips you’d give to a person to help them see the gospel in their daily devotions?" ANSWER: "(1) Reflect deeply, in an unhurried way, on your own sin. Not misanthropic introspection, but healthy self-assessment, in the spirit of 2 Cor. 13:5. One reason the gospel does not feel real to us is that our sin does not feel real to us... The gospel is the startling proclamation that anyone can be right with God—acquitted, forgiven, restored, adopted—through trusting faith in Jesus, who lived the life we cannot live and died the death we deserve to die."'

A Hosted, Moderated Debate On the Topic of Abortion at Westmont College

'Randy Alcorn has posted a debate between Scott Klusendorf (President of Life Training Institute and author of The Case for Life) and Nadine Strossen (former President of the ACLU) held on April 15, 2011, at Westmont College...'

Mary Kassian Writes a Long Post on Why 'Female Beauty Matters'

'So what does all this have to do with our discussion about female appearance? It has a great deal to do with it. We live-as C.S. Lewis coined it-in the "shadow lands." The earthly, physical realities of our lives are but shadows-copies-of true and heavenly realities (e.g. Heb. 8:5; 9:24-25). The physical and temporal exist to point us to the spiritual and eternal. And nowhere is this more the case than in the relationship between male and female. Human sexuality is a parable -a testimony to the character of God and to His spectacular plan of redemption through Jesus. This spiritual truth is so magnificent that God chose to put it on display permanently. Everywhere. Men were created to reflect the strength, love and self-sacrifice of Christ. Women were created to reflect the grace and beauty of the Bride He redeemed.'

Paula Hendricks Talks About Discovering the Gospel

'One morning, I woke with such a heavy sense of despair. I knew no matter how hard I tried, I wouldn't make it through the day without sinning. (I guess I always thought this was the goal!) No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't please God. As I was sobbing in emotional exhaustion, God brought to mind Matthew 11:28–30: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." That's when I realized I had a serious problem. My twenty-plus years of experience didn't line up with Jesus' promised peace and rest; I had only known the hard, heavy burden of religion. I found myself asking a question I could hardly fathom, "Do I really even know Jesus?"'

Messianic Rabbi Derek Leman Explains Why We Should Read Jewish Books

'If there were a a greater appreciation among Christians of Jewish history and culture, I would not have to explain such things to people. If people spent a little less time on “World of Warcraft” and “Farmville,” perhaps they could improve their lives by reading a little history. I highly recommend Paul Johnson’s A History of the Jews. It is a very readable and relatively thorough treatment...Christians should be more aware of Jewish history and that includes a familiarity with rabbinic literature. How can the Church ever relate to Jewish people when Jewishness is unappreciated and misunderstood?

4 comments:

  1. oh my. many questions re: female beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't surprise. Any straight-out thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. off the top of my head? impossible beauty standards, male entitlement syndrome, eating disorders, no understanding of personal preference?

    ReplyDelete

Start or join a conversation! Please do not use the 'Anonymous'; option; use the Name/URL form and leave a first and last name (or last initial). Thank you.